Skip to main content

Moving Forward

     Brittle. Frail. Dainty. Delicate- Lovely bones. She let her fragile, delicate fingers flutter on the rims of the pronounced collar bones that outlined her body, looking as if it was ready to shatter under the weight of her greatest fears, and worries she suppressed in hopes they would vanish along with the rest of her lowly existence.
     She worried the people around her as they watched her fade into the hollow ghost she became. She was gone to the world for what she had been, and was beginning to accept it. She too was afraid of what she was becoming, but was also in awe of the ways she had allowed the deceipt of her mind to ruin her life. She was also however, afraid to let go of this, so she held on even more thinking this would solve her problems.
     Seven  weeks ago this girl in the midst of her cantaloupe and coffee, with her preoccupation of control, suppression, and handling things on her own; was forced to bring everything to the surface, and relinquish her control. This girl had everything in her life ripped out from under her, being flatly told no- robbed of basic rights, fed more than she would consume in three days in one meal, countless breakdowns, learning to accept blind weigh ins, and weight gain, and having to so much as count every time she had to pee and have someone listen. (And that shit is harder than it sounds..) But this girl is learning how to live without Ed, and Ms. Perfectionism, and Ana. This girl has begun fighting for her life which she learned she came so close to losing. This girl has the strength of a true warrior, and this is the girl I can be proud of.
     My therapist in Hershey and I were talking and she was telling me how it is critical to take care of yourself because you never know when a relapse could end up being your last one. Today was my last day at Hershey's program and also marks the end of my time in hospitalizations- hopefully forever, but I know that I cannot guarantee this. On Sunday I transition back to college- my second home, and while I am excited, I am also nervous for the transition. But with seven weeks, I have learned seven things I will take with me going forward. 
  1.  I am better off leaving my weight, and goals to my medical team. Also- BMI is an invalid load of garbage.
  2.  Having a good outpatient team is essential. If you have a weak link- fire them! And replace them.
  3.  Having a good friend and support system is critical. I've learned that being honest with them helps them to feel less awkward, and more comfortable, and helps them and me to stay more accountable to what I'm supposed to be doing.
  4.  Hearing ED tell me I should skip meals is one thing. But then I must turn around and deliberately disobey him.
  5.  Also- Ms. Perfectionist needs to just take a hike.
  6.  Food and my meal plan are my prescription. Skipping that is the equivalent of a diabetic skipping their insulin aka BAD. Keeping a food and mood log, and meal planning are so important.
  7.  Life without my eating disorder feels like a bird released from the cage. I have energy, and life again. 
    These aren't fool proof, and I definitely have stumbled, and will continue to. I am not recovered, but I do know I am far from where I was, and for that I can be proud. I know that I am not guaranteed to be perfect, but that's okay. I told the perfectionist to take a hike anyways. But what I do know is that each day is messy, and colorful, and beauty is the imperfection and adventure at every curve in the road- and for that I will go forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're Not a Mistake

      My daily commute is two hours, and there is not much to say beyond that-- with the exception of  a few highlights including flying deer, car accidents, and the occasional middle finger-- incidentally committed by both parties if I am being an honest writer. Save for a Spotify playlist and angry drivers-- the car occupied by me, myself, and I lies quiet.      Quiet is a perfect place for big thoughts.       This morning as I made the commute, there were several accidents-- a daily occurrence as of lately. As my Spotify playlist moved, but the living hell of traffic remained stationary (come on people-- pay attention!!) I could feel frustration rising, as my face gave way to red before eventually crying on the free way. You know-- the cry that isn't from just the relevant incident really, but actually from that annoyance, and the four days-- or months of really big things prior where you didn't cry? Yeah-- that cry. T...

Everlasting- or Throwing Away the Instant Gratification Mindset

     I fumble through the partial darkness, insulted by the harsh light that streams in from the hallway, and hurts my poorly adjusted eyes as I am just being aroused from my indecent sleep. Today I was lucky, and woke up to the nice tech who sings your name out in a way that makes you a little more willing to get out of bed, but other mornings you end up being aroused by what one staff member may have snarkily referred to as "the humdingers- but you can pick those out." Obviously, I really like her too. I make my way towards the bathroom to change from my warm sweats into a thin gown that briskly snaps me alert, as I begin to hover down the hallway towards the scale to be weighed, and have my vitals taken. These are the moments where you are forced to look away. It's all about the numbers, but you aren't allowed to know anymore. It's like the weight of the world and control is crucial, but this is no longer yours. It is terrifying, and enough to ...

Learning to Live

     I had to go grocery shopping. I came home Sunday night knowing there would be no food in the house for me to eat.  *Disclaimer: I had asked mom to hold off on the shopping- and shout out to her for going with me to learn about my meal planning*      This task, so simple to most, which I've always enjoyed doing had become a cruel game to this heavy loaded mind. A task such as entering a store for three items, left me dissecting labels in the store for hours, often leaving with a different cart than intended, for I wanted the "best" option for my body, all the while I was slowly killing myself. The aisles seemed to rise over me, and close in, while the food choices seemed endless yet so little to choose from. It was the equivalent to feeling like a lab rat in an experiment, or one of those shelter animals that everyone stares at, but feels sorry for. I began hating grocery shopping for it felt as though every person was judging my cart...