Skip to main content

A Spotless Rose

     I woke up to a lot of birds today, and I've noticed them throughout my day. Their sweet sound- and it reminds me of you...
     The sun always seems to shine the day after we lose a loved one- but today it shines exceptionally bright. Perhaps because you have been one of the most radiant, kind hearted and beautiful people I have ever met inside and out. I have always appreciated your value on the simple things in life; like laughter, sunshine, your family, friendships, the power and passion of music you devoted yourself to, and living each day to the fullest. You took adventures as they came- and truly grabbed it by the reigns (or the bow in some cases...). You truly helped those around you to let go of  superficial things that would not matter in the grand scheme.
    
As I was driving this morning- I hadn't cried yet today, until I drove past the last place we met up for tea at a few months ago back home. You visited me on one of your crazy short trips. But you made time. You always made time to see me- for adventure. For fun. For the things that mattered to you. You gave me a growing kit for an amaryllis flower- to grow with me in recovery, and so I would have plants of my own, just like you guys in your apartment. I still have it, and in it, I see you.

     I had my choir C.D. from the first year of college on in my car- and to know that you were on it is quite surreal. To know I will walk into Butler, and never set foot onto the stage with you again, or have you run up to me elated is devastating. But to know your spirit is right with me, and within me in everything I do is incredible. To know the joy you have brought to this world- my life and all those you have touched is unbelievable. A Spotless Rose came on my stereo. And that is you. Sprung from a tender root.... your fairest buds unfolding to light as a beautiful soul of this world, and singing in the heavenly choir with your pure and beautiful sound. Thank you for being the light in a world of darkness, and changing this world for the better.

Now sleeps the crimson petal. 

Rest in peace Justina. I love you so much.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Live

     I had to go grocery shopping. I came home Sunday night knowing there would be no food in the house for me to eat.  *Disclaimer: I had asked mom to hold off on the shopping- and shout out to her for going with me to learn about my meal planning*      This task, so simple to most, which I've always enjoyed doing had become a cruel game to this heavy loaded mind. A task such as entering a store for three items, left me dissecting labels in the store for hours, often leaving with a different cart than intended, for I wanted the "best" option for my body, all the while I was slowly killing myself. The aisles seemed to rise over me, and close in, while the food choices seemed endless yet so little to choose from. It was the equivalent to feeling like a lab rat in an experiment, or one of those shelter animals that everyone stares at, but feels sorry for. I began hating grocery shopping for it felt as though every person was judging my cart...

No Fat Girls

    Pink Martini was playing in the car when I read "no fat girls." This bumper sticker plastered to the back of this old, worn nissan driven by a man who had been eyeing me as I tread through the parking lot certainly made me want a martini, but I sat behind this man for a solid two minutes at a stoplight of what seemed to last eons, feeling the repulsed state of hatred and anger within myself further manifest.      This is not the first time I have seen this or things such as this either. Unfortunately, it will probably not be the last either. I realize America is a free country, of free speech, and before I go running my mouth- I know just as I have the right to express my outrage, he has the right to express his opinions of sexualized, false manhood, and egocentrical boyhood vain, and shallow desires in the land of unattainable appearances in the complex of what I would furthermore simply describe as- "asshole."       Ok......

Followed in the Night (and turning it around)

     I've learned that the world is full beauty. But from beauty also comes a realm of darkness.       As I arrived home the other evening following a lengthy day including voice lessons, treatment, church choir, and a rehearsal for singing in church on Sunday it was growing late, but I have certainly come home much later before. The rain beat down on the road, and the streetlights dimly lit a path for passerby's. I always keep the car doors locked- not even out of fear, but out of safety and common sense. As I pulled into my spot, I responded to a friend who texted me asking a simple question, and noticed an email from a professor. Midway through reading this I realized that the car that had driven up the street and pulled up just behind me, but partially beside me had been a car parked out in the street with their headlights on for about three minutes by this point. My instincts heightened, and I became uneasy. I know I made a mistake now, but...