Skip to main content

Light on a Narrow Road

     You don't realize how precious life is, until you almost lose it, and it is not until far after the moment when you understand how close you came to only existing as the occasional thought upon someone's mind. Eventually fading, for you never had the chance to live your life in a way that would be of significance to anyone if you are being completely honest.
       Darkness can seem as though it stretches down a midnight dirt road in which there is no dawn- no stars- covered etchings with only the misty outlines of the trees that envelop in unfamiliar territory, as you travel with caution praying you don't wreck, and wondering when the madness will end. Madness is deafening. A freight train that carries people away. I have lost too many, including myself to this temporary typhoon of twisted words, and deceptive thought. The worst part is that is so simple to be fooled by the ones you care for most, or in your closest proximity, as they slip further beneath the surface.
     We become so consumed in our own lives, that we forget about those around us. Not even our closest friends, but simply the people we see in passing, each and every day. The ones who put a smile on, or say they are fine. We judge their quirks, but we think nothing more of it. We remain in our realms of comfort because we become so afraid of rocking the boat, or stepping away from our social conformity, and societal standards. College- the real world. It is as if we chose to never grow up; as we consciously turn a blind eye from the people around us who are different because we want to be comfortable, when that is not what we are called to do. 
     People are aching under the seams, but will never mention it because they feel their best is already so ill, and God forbid anyone knew of the weaknesses or struggles we all carry but will never admit. The baggage that is meant to be shared, or ultimately given to The One greater than any of us. Depression, self harm, eating disorders, alcohol, suppression, anxiety- are but mere labels of stigma that cover the bigger picture of beautiful people who hold amazing stories of strength, mountains that are being climbed, fought and overcome. You are a warrior- and asking for help or reaching out does not make you weak. It does not make you an attention seeker or petty. We are strong in understanding our weaknesses, and building from them- growing. Understanding that we cannot go the road alone- and we do not have to. 

     Darkness has no power when it released. You take away its' power when you open your mouth- the door- and place it into the light. Growing a little weaker, and smaller. Less  potent. It is not easy- and it requires work- but we are warriors. None of us have to wear masks anymore- and that is a refreshing thing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Live

     I had to go grocery shopping. I came home Sunday night knowing there would be no food in the house for me to eat.  *Disclaimer: I had asked mom to hold off on the shopping- and shout out to her for going with me to learn about my meal planning*      This task, so simple to most, which I've always enjoyed doing had become a cruel game to this heavy loaded mind. A task such as entering a store for three items, left me dissecting labels in the store for hours, often leaving with a different cart than intended, for I wanted the "best" option for my body, all the while I was slowly killing myself. The aisles seemed to rise over me, and close in, while the food choices seemed endless yet so little to choose from. It was the equivalent to feeling like a lab rat in an experiment, or one of those shelter animals that everyone stares at, but feels sorry for. I began hating grocery shopping for it felt as though every person was judging my cart...

No Fat Girls

    Pink Martini was playing in the car when I read "no fat girls." This bumper sticker plastered to the back of this old, worn nissan driven by a man who had been eyeing me as I tread through the parking lot certainly made me want a martini, but I sat behind this man for a solid two minutes at a stoplight of what seemed to last eons, feeling the repulsed state of hatred and anger within myself further manifest.      This is not the first time I have seen this or things such as this either. Unfortunately, it will probably not be the last either. I realize America is a free country, of free speech, and before I go running my mouth- I know just as I have the right to express my outrage, he has the right to express his opinions of sexualized, false manhood, and egocentrical boyhood vain, and shallow desires in the land of unattainable appearances in the complex of what I would furthermore simply describe as- "asshole."       Ok......

Followed in the Night (and turning it around)

     I've learned that the world is full beauty. But from beauty also comes a realm of darkness.       As I arrived home the other evening following a lengthy day including voice lessons, treatment, church choir, and a rehearsal for singing in church on Sunday it was growing late, but I have certainly come home much later before. The rain beat down on the road, and the streetlights dimly lit a path for passerby's. I always keep the car doors locked- not even out of fear, but out of safety and common sense. As I pulled into my spot, I responded to a friend who texted me asking a simple question, and noticed an email from a professor. Midway through reading this I realized that the car that had driven up the street and pulled up just behind me, but partially beside me had been a car parked out in the street with their headlights on for about three minutes by this point. My instincts heightened, and I became uneasy. I know I made a mistake now, but...