Skip to main content

Open Letters to my Treatment Team (Part 1)

     I was eighteen and pissed off at the world, but you never seemed to mind. For that matter- you encouraged the words, as I slowly found courage to speak, and finally express the anger that would slowly seep through passive-aggressive smart ass commentary; as I struggled in the scavenger hunt for words that could not seem to find their way. After being hurt so many times- distance, walls, and sabotage were all I knew, but you never blamed me for that, or gave up in searching for someone who had gone missing. I, and my heart were victim to suppression deep beneath countless layers of apathy, and fear disguised as anger turned outward-- to only later be retracted in the form self resentment, and a loathing so deep it would once again, almost kill me the way it did the first time not too long before we crossed paths. But you have stayed every step of the way.
     I thought I would hate you initially-because everyone else had either decided I was hopeless, and begun casting off the waste I was, or was so ambivalent on pushing my religion as a bandaid cure all down my throat (Please note, I am not casting off my beliefs at all in this healing process- they were in a large way), ignoring the problem that I never stood a fighting chance in peeling back layers to an authentic self. I wasn't sure who she was. This shadow in your office was feisty, covered, quiet in all the wrong ways, and so close minded that she was hardly recognizable to myself. And the fight got worse before it got better.
     If I could say everything I wanted to now- I would eventually fill a small novel. I was afraid to jump from ledges, and you pushed me gently, but kindly. In the moments where there has been wrong done, and I would not speak- whether I wanted you to or not, you never failed to open your mouth, and cry for me in a world that encourages silence. I've learned by example to have heart, and be brave. In those moments I was angry, but I always quickly retreated because it did not take long to learn you only made decisions with the best intent. You take it seriously. To do no harm. You've helped me learn to work in a world of chaos under pressures and weights that had once held me in their clutches, but are now the foundation for the ground upon which I have taken off running.
    I know that I am at times a mess- but thank you for being a true guiding star when I was so far from the path that I was about to veer over a cliff. And I would not have cared- but you've helped me learn to give a shit once again. To see beauty in all things, and find a light, or be a light as the dark of the night encloses. Thank you for being the connection that called me out of a web of self deceit. For naming the things I was in denial of, and holding on tight for the ride as I refused treatment for almost 2 years. For helping me learn gentle kindness once again, or that it is okay to come alive and enjoy yourself.
    I don't have the words to say a proper thank you, and I don't think I ever will- for saving me from myself. Allowing me to actually think about when I am 25, or 30 because I know I will still be alive now. For being open, and kind, and giving me the roots to do the same. I know I cannot cover everything I wish- but it's okay- I know you'll get it. You always do.
Love,
Your Favorite 9am Coffee Session

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Live

     I had to go grocery shopping. I came home Sunday night knowing there would be no food in the house for me to eat.  *Disclaimer: I had asked mom to hold off on the shopping- and shout out to her for going with me to learn about my meal planning*      This task, so simple to most, which I've always enjoyed doing had become a cruel game to this heavy loaded mind. A task such as entering a store for three items, left me dissecting labels in the store for hours, often leaving with a different cart than intended, for I wanted the "best" option for my body, all the while I was slowly killing myself. The aisles seemed to rise over me, and close in, while the food choices seemed endless yet so little to choose from. It was the equivalent to feeling like a lab rat in an experiment, or one of those shelter animals that everyone stares at, but feels sorry for. I began hating grocery shopping for it felt as though every person was judging my cart...

No Fat Girls

    Pink Martini was playing in the car when I read "no fat girls." This bumper sticker plastered to the back of this old, worn nissan driven by a man who had been eyeing me as I tread through the parking lot certainly made me want a martini, but I sat behind this man for a solid two minutes at a stoplight of what seemed to last eons, feeling the repulsed state of hatred and anger within myself further manifest.      This is not the first time I have seen this or things such as this either. Unfortunately, it will probably not be the last either. I realize America is a free country, of free speech, and before I go running my mouth- I know just as I have the right to express my outrage, he has the right to express his opinions of sexualized, false manhood, and egocentrical boyhood vain, and shallow desires in the land of unattainable appearances in the complex of what I would furthermore simply describe as- "asshole."       Ok......

Followed in the Night (and turning it around)

     I've learned that the world is full beauty. But from beauty also comes a realm of darkness.       As I arrived home the other evening following a lengthy day including voice lessons, treatment, church choir, and a rehearsal for singing in church on Sunday it was growing late, but I have certainly come home much later before. The rain beat down on the road, and the streetlights dimly lit a path for passerby's. I always keep the car doors locked- not even out of fear, but out of safety and common sense. As I pulled into my spot, I responded to a friend who texted me asking a simple question, and noticed an email from a professor. Midway through reading this I realized that the car that had driven up the street and pulled up just behind me, but partially beside me had been a car parked out in the street with their headlights on for about three minutes by this point. My instincts heightened, and I became uneasy. I know I made a mistake now, but...