Skip to main content

Mirror Mirror on the Wall... in her hidden secrets she will fall

     Earlier today, I was reflecting back upon the road I've been down over the last two years since this nightmare began, and I was attempting to piece together the fragments of what the time has entailed. This task has turned out to be much easier said than done, and would not be something I would ask my loathed enemy to ever experience. The empty hollow longing for something greater than yourself, and then the denial because you can actually rationalize with yourself that you are so lowly a lifeform, somehow below every other person on the face of this earth. You manage to cast off the idea engraved into your head that you are the Beloved Daughter of the King.
     In my reflecting, I wandered upon a collection of old writing from a blog I had been keeping anonymously for a time when I was younger, and I thought perhaps it was time to occasionally start letting some of her thoughts free, since she was too afraid to- and I know that girl is still curled up afraid deep inside. These words came from one of my loneliest darkest times in my outrage, and in my realization that I was out of control, and I had become a monster. It took me much past this to finally say something, but I thank God each day I did, and wouldn't change a thing. So without further adieu:

       Let me tell you a story. There's that item almost everyone keeps in their household to check their hair, teeth, outfit of the day, or scrutinize the curve that falls in the wrong place and actually chides them for the so called “forbidden food” they indulged in on a whim. They know it was a mistake now. The mirror is the little bitch, and has been for as long as I can remember since I could first tell I had babyfat, or that perhaps my thighs existed.
We work so hard to manipulate our perceptions within the mirror, be it going to the gym, "healthy eating," or self starvation, yet we fail to accept ourselves for the way that we are. Why have I become a monster- a prisoner? I wake up day in and out failing to portray myself in the mirror for what others claim to see me. Far below the supposed bane of my existed BMI marks of health, and I still see an ogre. Yet I still let the mirror control my caloric intake in any given day.
     Even worse, is adults are doing this mirror dance in front of children (who are watching! Hello?!), and we the hypocrites go around squawking about a positive body image. What kind of twisted convoluted world have we turned into? I am scared to work towards recovery. There are so many days where I walk towards that mirror and I want to tell myself that I like what I see, and that mirror stands with its’ twisted grin and mocks me within its’ malicious deviant ways and tells me how I will never be good enough. And I listen
     I know that someday I will have children to set an example for. I want to grow stronger for myself for that matter. To chase my dreams, and help others to chase theirs. But I can't do this until I help myself. I know that I need to be strong enough to break this twisted deception when people around me voice their concerns. Yet, at the moment I am not even sure where I can begin. Perhaps, it is time to take a fist and crack the mirror and shatter the whole that keeps me locked from within.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Live

     I had to go grocery shopping. I came home Sunday night knowing there would be no food in the house for me to eat.  *Disclaimer: I had asked mom to hold off on the shopping- and shout out to her for going with me to learn about my meal planning*      This task, so simple to most, which I've always enjoyed doing had become a cruel game to this heavy loaded mind. A task such as entering a store for three items, left me dissecting labels in the store for hours, often leaving with a different cart than intended, for I wanted the "best" option for my body, all the while I was slowly killing myself. The aisles seemed to rise over me, and close in, while the food choices seemed endless yet so little to choose from. It was the equivalent to feeling like a lab rat in an experiment, or one of those shelter animals that everyone stares at, but feels sorry for. I began hating grocery shopping for it felt as though every person was judging my cart...

No Fat Girls

    Pink Martini was playing in the car when I read "no fat girls." This bumper sticker plastered to the back of this old, worn nissan driven by a man who had been eyeing me as I tread through the parking lot certainly made me want a martini, but I sat behind this man for a solid two minutes at a stoplight of what seemed to last eons, feeling the repulsed state of hatred and anger within myself further manifest.      This is not the first time I have seen this or things such as this either. Unfortunately, it will probably not be the last either. I realize America is a free country, of free speech, and before I go running my mouth- I know just as I have the right to express my outrage, he has the right to express his opinions of sexualized, false manhood, and egocentrical boyhood vain, and shallow desires in the land of unattainable appearances in the complex of what I would furthermore simply describe as- "asshole."       Ok......

Road Workers and Saviors

     I think the road worker was drunk . You're looking to be saved, and you have followed all of the signs, but you have definitely come to the wrong place. Someone should fire that guy because the sign for Heaven should be going the other way. I do not have wings, and I cannot fly. I am not perfect, and am about as far from as they come. You look to be saved, but I am still figuring out how to save myself if I am being honest. I will carry you as far as I am able, but when I fall short- I apologize in advance.      I wish I could solve your problems, and take your load, but I am only one person . I will offer you a hand, and the seeds I hope you will use to nourish your body, and carry you the right way on the path to someone better equipped, but if you choose to merely feed them to the birds, or throw them in the dead of the night, and exhaust my resources until I have nothing to give either of us, then I am useless.      ...