Skip to main content

Relinquishing the Reigns

     I was sitting in the somber obsolete room, neatly kept with the two therapy chairs that were well padded, and easy to curl into as she spoke to me. The cream color of the wall attempted to create a calming atmosphere, but in the moment I felt slightly to mostly nauseated, and a little lethargic. She was explaining the scientific calculation behind caloric intake, weight gain, energy, bmi... blah. blah. blah. When the statement "you are not safe where you stand," escaped her lips, suddenly I was not so absent from the conversation. I sat a little taller in my chair as if it would give me ground in the conversation.
     This woman who I barely know as my dietitian is sitting here, and goes on to explain to me that my body is in what is to be considered starvation mode, all while I just spent the morning denegrating myself in a mirror, worrying about the weight I was surely gaining, thoughts racing at losing a so called culturally known "thigh gap." Oy. **just a disclaimer- Beyonce and Mermaids don't have a thigh gap, so obviously I should put some reconsideration into my priorities here** She tells me that my meal plan is not enough, and it will need raised for the second time since my arrival to treatment. I am not sure whether it was my facial expression, my jaw hitting the floor, or the fact I may have lost all the color in my face that made her continue to explain how even with this food, my body was maintaining its' weight. I have to say, here I've been putting myself through scrutiny, torture, and starvation to only discover even with a normal diet- surprise! My body burns through more food than three teenage boys would even think about consuming like its' nothing. For carrying honors in college, I don't think I have the whole common sense thing in the bag. Never the less, I walk out of my treatment meeting with this dietititan bewildered, with a fiery spirit, but anxious and racing under the assurance I was surely becoming "fat."
     The following morning, I learned that I was in the right place for a reason. As much as I stomp my feet, and resist, I am amazed how God doesn't slap me- other than with some blatant signs I've truly needed of course. One moment Friday morning I was standing, and moments later I was on the ground. I had felt my world waver, close in, and shut off before everything went black and I was gone. I came back shaking and crying. Perhaps it was my terror in the girl I've allowed myself to become, the mourning of the girl I've lost, the disease that has taken over... or the fact that I didn't realize how seriously sick I have been.
     I was supposed to finish my semester at my University on December 11, but I left to fight what has turned out to be much more fierce a battle than I could have ever known. I have been so upset and resistant to the idea that I have not been in school, but I was told that there was a chance my body was not strong enough. I didn't believe them. But- what if I had been there.. in that time.. God has a plan, and I am truly blessed in my fight that I do not walk alone. And I am so thankful to each person who saved me from what could have been.
      I want to gain back the innocent girl who is still hidden deep inside this lost wandering soul. She is fierce. I am fierce. I learned my dietitian was right- nutrition is medicine, and being kind to ourselves is the best antidote we can give. The only two digit sizes I want to ever see again are the positive numbers. I've been drowning myself  beneath unrelenting thought feeling suffocated in a fight I thought I would never win. The hardest part of recovery is relinquishing control to give yourself life. It is trusting others to care for you until you are strong enough to stand on your own, and letting them equip you with new tools. Be it drinking Ensures, or being bound to a wheelchair, I will overcome the adversity that life tosses my way. Distortion has yet to disappear, but the beauty within will always win, and stars cannot shine without darkness first.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Live

     I had to go grocery shopping. I came home Sunday night knowing there would be no food in the house for me to eat.  *Disclaimer: I had asked mom to hold off on the shopping- and shout out to her for going with me to learn about my meal planning*      This task, so simple to most, which I've always enjoyed doing had become a cruel game to this heavy loaded mind. A task such as entering a store for three items, left me dissecting labels in the store for hours, often leaving with a different cart than intended, for I wanted the "best" option for my body, all the while I was slowly killing myself. The aisles seemed to rise over me, and close in, while the food choices seemed endless yet so little to choose from. It was the equivalent to feeling like a lab rat in an experiment, or one of those shelter animals that everyone stares at, but feels sorry for. I began hating grocery shopping for it felt as though every person was judging my cart...

No Fat Girls

    Pink Martini was playing in the car when I read "no fat girls." This bumper sticker plastered to the back of this old, worn nissan driven by a man who had been eyeing me as I tread through the parking lot certainly made me want a martini, but I sat behind this man for a solid two minutes at a stoplight of what seemed to last eons, feeling the repulsed state of hatred and anger within myself further manifest.      This is not the first time I have seen this or things such as this either. Unfortunately, it will probably not be the last either. I realize America is a free country, of free speech, and before I go running my mouth- I know just as I have the right to express my outrage, he has the right to express his opinions of sexualized, false manhood, and egocentrical boyhood vain, and shallow desires in the land of unattainable appearances in the complex of what I would furthermore simply describe as- "asshole."       Ok......

Road Workers and Saviors

     I think the road worker was drunk . You're looking to be saved, and you have followed all of the signs, but you have definitely come to the wrong place. Someone should fire that guy because the sign for Heaven should be going the other way. I do not have wings, and I cannot fly. I am not perfect, and am about as far from as they come. You look to be saved, but I am still figuring out how to save myself if I am being honest. I will carry you as far as I am able, but when I fall short- I apologize in advance.      I wish I could solve your problems, and take your load, but I am only one person . I will offer you a hand, and the seeds I hope you will use to nourish your body, and carry you the right way on the path to someone better equipped, but if you choose to merely feed them to the birds, or throw them in the dead of the night, and exhaust my resources until I have nothing to give either of us, then I am useless.      ...